Food Stall Licence

Get a Food Stall Licence to operate a food stall in a privately-owned food shop (e.g. eating house, coffee shop, food court, canteen or market).

Fast facts

Licensing Agency National Environment Agency (NEA)
Cost Of Licence S$13 (1-year licence)
Minimum Licence Processing Time 5 working days

When do I need this licence?

  • You need this licence to operate a food stall which retails food and/or drink inside a privately-owned food shop (e.g. eating house, coffee shop, food court, canteen or market).
  • You should apply for the Hawker Stall Licence if you are operating a food stall in a Government-owned food shop (e.g. hawker centre or market operated by HDB, JTC or NEA).
  • You should apply for the Food Shop Licence if you are operating a food shop (e.g. eating house, coffeeshop, food court, canteen or market).

Who is eligible to hold this licence?

  • Individuals who are Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents, and at least 21 years old.
  • Companies registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).
  • Societies registered with the Registrar of Societies.

Who is not eligible to hold this licence?

  • Anyone, company or society who has had their licence previously revoked by the NEA.
  • Sole-proprietorships and partnerships cannot apply under their business. Instead, the business owners must apply as individuals.

What are the licence fees?

  • S$13 (1-year licence).

What laws & regulations do I have to comply with before I can obtain this licence?

  1. Before applying, you must secure a location for your food stall and obtain approvals, if needed, from other authorities (e.g. change of use from the Urban Redevelopment Authority).
  2. You must ensure that the design and layout of your food stall complies with the Code of Practice on Environmental Health.
  3. All food handlers must be registered with NEA. When you apply for the licence, you will need to provide details of at least one registered food handler.
  4. If you are self-employed (e.g. sole-proprietors), you must also ensure that you have no outstanding CPF Medisave liabilities before applying or renewing your licence.

Things to note

  • Your licence may be revoked or suspended by NEA if you accumulate more than 12 points in 12 months under the Points Demerit System (PDS).
  • Only Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents are allowed to work at food stalls. Food Stall Licensees cannot employ foreigners holding Work Permits. Only Food Shop Licensees can hire foreign workers.
  • If you are taking over an existing food stall, please make sure that the previous operator has terminated his/her Food Stall Licence.

For more info

Application Procedures and FAQs on the Food Stall Licence
EnterpriseOne Online Business Licensing Service (OBLS)

National Environment Agency (NEA)
Local Toll-Free:1800-CALL NEA (1800-225 5632)
International: (65) 6225 5632


Please contact the NEA regional office nearest to you:

South-West Regional Office
335 Clementi Road
Singapore 129786
Tel: (65) 6466 0544
Fax: (65) 6469 9082

North-West Regional Office
18 Attap Valley Road
Singapore 759910
Tel: (65) 6756 7678
Fax: (65) 6756 6848

Central Regional Office
4545 Jalan Bukit Merah
Singapore 159466
Tel: (65) 6272 4266
Fax: (65) 6273 9641

North-East Regional Office
174 Sin Ming Drive
Singapore 575715
Tel: (65) 6455 3177
Fax: (65) 6458 2080

South-East Regional Office
70 Tannery Lane
Singapore 347810
Tel: (65) 6747 4811
Fax: (65) 6747 3863

Rate This Page